What Are the Key Causes of Stroke & How to Prevent it?
Stroke is a major health concern for a person. It can affect anyone and anytime. Generally, stroke is caused when blood flow to a part of your brain is cut off. Simply put, without oxygenated blood, the brain can start dying within minutes. But you can prevent stroke by learning about the causes and the ways to prevent it. Experts say that 80% of strokes can be prevented if you know the right thing.
Dr. Anil Dhingra, the best Neuro Surgeon in Chandigarh recommends some effective ways that can help you prevent stroke.
Key Causes of Stroke & its Preventive Measures:
- Lower Your Blood Pressure: High blood pressure is the No. 1 cause of strokes. So, always try to maintain normal blood pressure, i.e 120/80. If you have a general tendency to have high blood pressure or hypertension it can make you 4-5 times more likely to have a stroke. So, it is always recommended to reduce stress and anxiety to reduce the chances of stroke.
- Do Not Smoke: Using tobacco can double your risk of a stroke. It is because Nicotine in cigarettes can raise blood pressure and carbon monoxide in smoke lowers the amount of oxygen your body needs.
- Manage Your Heart: Having an irregular heartbeat is a clear indication of blood clots that can cause a stroke. So, it is recommended not to overlook this symptom and go for a checkup. It is because medications and medical procedures can get your heart back into a normal rhythm.
- Control Your Diabetes: High blood sugar can cause a stroke. It is because high blood sugar results in fatty deposits or clots inside the blood vessels. This can cut off the blood supply to the brain. So, if you have diabetes, make sure you check it frequently, take proper medication, and consult with your doctors every few months.
- Keep an Eye on Cholesterol: Too much cholesterol can clog your arteries and lead to stroke. So, make sure your cholesterol is in the normal range. A healthy diet and exercise can help you maintain your cholesterol level. But if your cholesterol level is uncontrollable, you must visit a doctor.
These are some common causes of stroke that can be prevented by living a healthy lifestyle. But, if you have already developed some symptoms, look no further! Dr. Anil Dhingra, the best neurologist in Chandigarh is always ready to provide the best guide to you.