Neuropathy: Causes & Symptoms
Our whole body consists of millions of nerves, that carry messages from one part of the body to another thus making our nervous system work. The nerves at any part or location of our body can get damaged by some injury or disease. These general diseases and malfunctioning of nerves are referred to as Neuropathy. Dr. Anil Dhingra an endoscopic spine surgeon in Chandigarh will tell you all about Neuropathy.
It is usually classified on the basis of cause, and location of the nerves that affected. For example, if nerves of brain or spinal cord are affected then it is referred to as Peripheral Neuropathy.
Causes of Neuropathy: –
- Vitamin Deficiency
Deficiency of the B vitamins and folate can cause damage to nerves. The more specific is vitamin B12.
- Genetic or Inherited Disorders
Genetic or inherited Disorders can one of the common reasons behind neuropathy. For example, Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease and Friedreich’s ataxia.
- Drugs or Medication
Certain Drugs and Medications can cause Neuropathy. Even excessive use of any drug can also lead to the same.
Prolonged pressure on a particular nerve, any injury or certain kind of trauma are the most common causes of neuropathy. Even the decreased blood flow to certain nerves can also lead to prolonged damage.
A most common condition associated with peripheral neuropathy is diabetes. It is most common for the people who are suffering from diabetes for a long time and have a problem in controlling it.
- The gradual loss of feeling, pain, tingling, and numbness on the feet. And this feeling might move to the center of the body.
- Extremely sensitive to touch, and sensation of numbness and tingling.
- Loss of muscle mass, reflex, dexterity, and cramping.
- Nausea or abdominal bloating after meals.
- Blurred vision, dizziness, and fainting are the other common symptoms of neuropathy.
- Low blood sugar levels associated with trembling and hypoglycemia unawareness.
So these were the causes and symptoms of neuropathy. And all of these can be dealt with different ways. But the basic purpose behind this information is to create a general awareness so that people don’t avoid the signals given by their body and treatment can be done on time. Come to the best surgeon in Panchkula in case of any problems.