What is Micro Discectomy?
Surgical procedures earlier meant large incisions, long recovery period and painful rehab. Now, with the evolution of technology, surgical procedures aren’t as painful as they were earlier. We as the best neurosurgeon in Chandigarh explain the term.
• What is Micro Discectomy?
Microdiscectomy also known as microdecompression or microdiskectomy is a minimal invasive surgical procedure performed on herniated lumbar disc. During the surgery, surgeon removes portions of herniated disc to relieve pressure on the spinal nerve column.
• How is Micro Discectomy Performed?
Microdiscectomy is performed to remove the disc material placing pressure on nerves. The patient is under the influence of anesthesia when the surgery is performed. Surgeon makes 1 to 12 inches of incision on affected disc and uses a lighted microscope to see the affected area. The surgeon will then remove the damaged herniated tissue relieving the pressure on the nerve. The incision is then closed with sutures.
• Risks Involved in Micro Discectomy
Complications in microdiscectomy are rare. However, there are some risks involved which includes:
1. In 1% to 2% surgeries, there is a risk of leak of cerebrospinal fluid (Dural tear).
2. Nerve root damage.
3. In 5% of cases, there is a risk of recurrent disc herniation.
4. Bowel/bladder inconsistence.
• Advantages of Micro Discectomy
As microdiscectomy is a small invasive surgery, there are certain advantages involved in the surgery.
1. Small incision on skin.
2. Less damage to surrounding tissues.
3. Pain is relieved immediately.
4. Recovery period in hospital is 24 hours or even less.
• Average Cost of Surgery
Cost involved in microdiscectomy ranges from Rs. 75,000 to Rs. 1.25 lacs depending on the hospital you choose for the surgery.
You can return your usual routine within 3 to 4 weeks of the surgery but you should refrain from lifting anything heavier than 5 pounds to avoid recurrent herniation in future. A doctor may recommend you some physiotherapy exercises after the surgery to help you recover faster. Regular follow ups and checkups are recommended by us a spine expert in Chandigarh.